New England Soccer Today

Open Cup Collapse

Revolution head coach Jay Heaps, seen here in a Jun. 12 Open Cup tilt vs. New York, fielded a strong lineup in Wednesday's 3-1 loss to D.C. (Photo: Chris Aduama/

Revolution head coach Jay Heaps, seen here in a Jun. 12 Open Cup tilt vs. New York, fielded a strong lineup in Wednesday’s 3-1 loss to D.C. (Photo: Chris Aduama/

Apparently, the Revolution forgot to pack something before departing for D.C. on Tuesday. Namely, their scoring boots.

After tallying nine goals in their previous two U.S. Open Cup clashes, the Revolution attack went eerily silent in a 3-1 loss to the defensively-challenged D.C. United at Maryland SoccerPlex on Wednesday.

Chris Pontius put D.C. on the board in the 45th minute, while Juan Toja equalized in the 53rd minute. But it was all D.C. after that, as Dwayne DeRosario scored the game-winner in the 69th minute and Lionard Pijoy padded the lead from the spot in the 86th minute.

The Revolution loss ended the club’s deepest run into Open Cup play since 2008, which incidentally saw D.C. claim a 3-1 win over New England in that year’s tournament semifinals on Aug. 12.

D.C. entered the game allowing a conference worst 26 goals in league action.

Early on, it looked as if the Revolution would beat D.C. to the board in the 15th minute. Diego Fagundez cracked a shot off the woodwork to put his club within inches of opening the account for the third straight Open Cup tilt.

Shortly after, D.C. began to tip the pitch in their favor. With the hosts stepping on the gas right before the interval, Pontius put one past Matt Reis to give D.C. the lead going into halftime.

Toja responded to the Pontius strike less than ten minutes into the second frame when he blasted a shot off the bar that fell off the back of Joe Willis and into the back of the net in the 53rd minute.

Another Revolution goal appeared imminent with extended spells of possession and chances. But that was before Pontius sent a corner kick toward DeRosario, who punched it through in the 69th minute.

Any hopes of a Revolution comeback effectively vanished in the 86th minute when Pajoy sent his penalty try through to send D.C. to a semifinal date against the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park on Aug. 7.

Leave a Reply