New England Soccer Today

#TBT: Fore River Held Paterson to Tie (2/24/1919)


Welcome to this week’s edition of “Throwback Thursday,” where we take a trip back in time to spotlight some of the clubs that made their mark on the New England soccer landscape over the past century.

This week, we venture back to a fourth round U.S. Open Cup tie between Quincy (Mass.)-based Fore River and Paterson FC (N.J.) on Feb. 24, 1919 at the Fore River Grounds. The Times (Pawtucket, R.I.) previewed the match in this fashion: “The Fore River eleven…has a record this season no less imposing than that of the crack Jersey club which is to play abroad this spring.”


Work of Quincy Eleven Makes Replay Necessary in Fourth Round Contest of National Soccer Competition

QUINCY, Mass. – Fore River held back an especially potent Paterson F.C. side  and earned a hard-fought 0-0 draw in Saturday’s fourth round National Cup tie at the snow-covered Fore River Grounds.

The Shipbuilders, which entered the game fresh off a 4-0 win against the Boston Rovers, had outscored their opponents in Cup competition by an 18-2 margin in only three games. Meanwhile, Paterson arrived in Quincy boasting a 51-21 goal advantage over the course of all competitions during the 1918-19 season.

One thousand royal rooters took the 1:16pm train to the grounds, and were cheerfully greeted by the Piper’s band from Fore River works. The band paraded from the depot to the grounds with the rooters in tow.

With the game moved up to accommodate the guests, the game kicked off shortly after the pre-game festivities concluded. Knowing they’d have their hands full against the Jersey eleven, Fore River attempted to set the tone early, even with a slippery surface underneath them. But after the first 15 minutes, the frozen field gave way to muddy pitch, which limited chances for both sides.

Even so, the 2,000 in attendance witnessed “excellent play” throughout the proceedings. Performing especially well on the afternoon was Shipyard fullback Thomas Littlejohn, while teammate Gregor Stewart collected the game’s best chance from the run of play when he drove a shot that fiercely tested keeper Sol Denby, who made the stop.

In the waning minutes, fortune appeared to smile upon Fore River when Paterson left fullback George Murray was found guilty of fouling Shipbuilders’ right outside forward George Reid. A penalty was awarded by referee George Lambie, known as the Bill Klem of soccer arbiters, and John Kershaw was entrusted to take the shot from the spot.

But with the footing far from firm, Kershaw couldn’t put enough thrust on his shot, and the ball rolled harmlessly into the waiting arms of Denby.

With the game scoreless after 90 minutes, a pair of fifteen minute overtime periods were used in the hopes of separating the two. However, both nets remained untouched, despite the best efforts of both sides. Among those who played well for Paterson were John Broadbent, Henry Meyerdiecks, Archie Starks and Edward Brown.

The replay will take place next Sunday at Olympia Field in Paterson, N.J.

The summary.

Fore River. Paterson.
Lambie, g Denby, g
Clawson, rb Post, rb
Littlejohn, lb Murray, lb
Lowe, rhb Broadbent, rhb
Stewart, chb Vandervegh, chb
Black, lhb Meyerdiecks, lhb
Reid, rof Knowles, rof
Page, rif Hanziker, rif
Kershaw, cf Clark, cf
Daley, lif A. Stark, lif
Straden, lof Brown, lof

Referee – George Lambie of Southridge. Linesmen – Bradford of Fore River, Bliech for Paterson. Periods, two of 45 minutes, and two extra of 15 minutes each.

Leave a Reply