New England Soccer Today

Shorthanded Revs Steal Win

Photo credit: Kari Heistad/

Photo credit: Kari Heistad/

A stoppage time Charlie Davies penalty kick goal gave the New England Revolution a 2-1 victory over the Seattle Sounders on Wednesday in Tucson, Ariz., in the final group game of the Desert Diamond Cup preseason tournament. Seattle took the lead through Kenny Cooper in just the fourth minute, but New England would equalize on an early second half own goal and then found the winner in stoppage time through Davies, despite playing down a man after Tyler Rudy saw a 60th minute red card.

The win improves the Revolution’s record in the 2015 Desert Diamond Cup to 1-1-1. New England’s overall preseason record stands at 2-2-1.

The Revolution started with a fairly strong line-up, consisting of mostly projected starters minus the injured Lee Nguyen and Jermaine Jones, while Brad Knighton got a start over Bobby Shuttleworth. Seattle also started without several key players including Clint Dempsey, Obafemi Martins and Osvaldo Alonso.

Seattle took the early lead when a cross from Darwin Jones beat Knighton and the Revolution defense allowing Cooper an easy tap in at the far post in just the fourth minute.

Five minutes later Cooper played Chad Barrett behind the defense, but he fired wide under pressure from Andrew Farrell.

New England threatened in the 21st minute on a Diego Fagundez cross from the left flank, but Juan Agudelo could only head wide at the far post.

Fagundez then played a key role in keeping the deficit at one with a clearing header off the line of a 35th minute corner kick.

Seven minutes later Knighton was forced into a save off a Kevin Parsemain free kick from about 30 yards. Parsemain’s low driven effort took a difficult bounce and forced Knighton to punch wide.

New England made several changes at half time and substitutes Darrius Barnes and Kevin Alston combined to help force an own goal in the 47th minute that knotted the score at 1-1.

Another substitute, Sean Okoli, set up Fagundez for a chance in the 53rd minute with a chip over the defense, but Perkins saved Fagundez’s effort.

Things began to get chippy and New England saw recently-signed rookie Tyler Rudy ejected in the 60th minute for a tackle on Cristian Roldan.

Barrett nearly took advantage of the extra man in the 66th minute when Barrett got open for an Aaron Kovar cross and headed just wide.

Halftime substitute Charlie Davies combined with Fagundez to give the shorthanded Revolution a chance in the 75th minute, but Fagundez fired wide after some good work to get open.

Cooper had two chances to give Seattle the lead late and Knighton came up big to deny him in the 83rd minute. The Revolution then got some help from the woodwork when Cooper was denied by the bar six minutes later.

New England then earned a penalty kick when Okoli was fouled in the box. Davies made no mistake, finishing inside the right post to give the Revolution the win.

The Revolution play one last preseason game, finishing off the Desert Diamond Cup on Saturday against an opponent still to be determined.

One Comment

Leave a Reply