New England Soccer Today

Scoreless in Foxboro

Photo credit: Chris Aduama/

Photo credit: Chris Aduama/

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The Revolution failed to make the most of a 30 minute man advantage as they were forced to settle for a scoreless draw in their home opener in front of 14,189 at Gillette Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Neither side created many chances as both teams remained scoreless on the season.

The draw leaves the Revolution at 0-2-1 (1 point) and Montreal at 0-1-1 (1 point) to start the season with both sides still seeking their first victory and first goal of the year.

Head coach Jay Heaps made three changes to the team that lost 2-0 to New York City FC last Sunday. Jeremy Hall and Darrius Barnes filled in on defense for Kevin Alston (injury) and Jose Goncalves (suspended), while Scott Caldwell was preferred to Andy Dorman in midfield.

Just 40 seconds into the match New England had a chance when Daigo Kobayashi got the ball in the left side of the box and then sent a pass to Diego Fagundez near the penalty spot. Fagundez attempted a shot from near the penalty spot, but his effort was deflected by a Montreal defender.

Montreal then forced Shuttleworth into a save in the 11th minute after earning a free kick near the corner flag, but Laurent Ciman’s was right at Shuttleworth and easily saved.

The Impact had perhaps the best chance of the half in the 44th minute when Jack McInerney flicked on a Donny Toia cross to Dominic Oduro, who was wide open in the right side of the box. Oduro attempted to beat Shuttleworth with a low shot to the far post, but his effort was just wide.

Neither team produced much early in the second half, but a deflection off a Revolution defender gave the ball to Maxim Tissot about 30 yards from goal. Tissot hit a low powerful shot on frame that Shuttleworth could only tip wide with a diving save before the Revolution cleared.

A minute later the Revolution would gain a man advantage when Hassoun Camara was sent off for a second yellow card after dragging down Juan Agudelo by his shirt. Looking to put the pressure on, the Revolution subbed on Charlie Davies for Kelyn Rowe, adding a second striker, a minute later.

Lee Nguyen threated for the Revolution from distance in the 69th minute, but Bush was able to punch it out with a diving save.

Three minutes later Nguyen had the Revolution’s best chance of the match thus far when he got on the end of a Chris Tierney cross for a wide open header, from close range, but sent his header high of the net.

New England had a late chance to grab the win off a Chris Tierney corner that eventually fell to Andrew Farrell near the penalty spot. Farrell directed a shot on frame, but it was blocked by Davies.

Tierney had one final chance on last kick of the game, after the Revolution earned a free kick just outside the box, but his effort was right at Bush.

New England continues its search for a goal and victory on Saturday, March 28th at 3 p.m. ET at Gillette Stadium.

Leave a Reply