New England Soccer Today

#NEvMTL Recap: The Remix

Photo credit: Chris Aduama/

Photo credit: Chris Aduama/

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The Revolution will have to wait at least another week to find their first goal of the season after they were forced to settle for a 0-0 draw against the Montreal Impact on Saturday at Gillette Stadium.

New England had no fewer than three opportunities to find the back of the net, including two after Hassoun Camara was sent off in the 61st minute. Daigo Kobayashi tested Evan Bush with a shot that the Montreal keeper collected at the near post in the 69th minute, while Chris Tierney crossed it for Lee Nguyen, whose header flew over the bar in the 72nd minute.

But for the second straight week, the Revolution’s finishing betrayed them as they were kept off the board for the third straight week.

While the offense couldn’t find paydirt, the makeshift defense certainly did its part. With Jose Goncalves and Kevin Alston unable to go due red card suspension and injury, respectively, Darrius Barnes and Jeremy Hall stepped in to fill the voids. Barnes led the way with five interceptions, and cleared away six balls to help preserve the clean sheet.

“We had to make some adjustments,” Revolution coach Jay Heaps said. “I really thought Darrius and Jeremy came in and did a great job, I don’t think were under as much pressure, but I think we dealt well with the counter.”

Not to be overlooked: Andrew Farrell, who’d been plagued by poor positioning during the first two games, played an improved brand of defense. Heaps told the media following Saturday’s match that he stressed the importance of positioning during training in the days leading up to the contest. The third-year defender seemed to get the message loud and clear, as he kept the action in front of him for the most part, and avoided dribbling into trouble.

While the defense looked better than it did in Seattle and New York, their cause certainly wasn’t hurt by Hassoun Camara’s second yellow card, and subsequent ejection, in the 61st minute.

Incidentally, Saturday’s match was the first time the Revolution finished at full strength after Goncalves 67th minute red card last week, as well as Teal Bunbury’s late exit in Seattle after he sprained his right shoulder.

While the Revolution had chances to capitalize, the Impact were smart to take a page out of New York City’s gameplan from the previous. They clogged the middle, which neutralized the likes of Nguyen, Diego Fagundez and Juan Agudelo, all of whom are the most comfortable when they attack into the heart of the box.

Stat of the match: The Revolution only completed 14 percent of their crosses, a testament to the strength of the Impact’s defense inside the 18.

The Revolution will return to action on Saturday, Mar. 28 when they host the San Jose Earthquakes at Gillette Stadium. Kickoff is set for 3:00pm. Last year, the Revolution found their first goal of the season in their fourth game of the season. The opponent? San Jose.

Final word:

Leave a Reply