New England Soccer Today

Substitute Led Comeback

Photo credit: Kari Heistad/

Photo credit: Kari Heistad/

The New England Revolution overcame a one goal halftime deficit to defeat the Philadelphia Union, 2-1, on Sunday night at PPL Park in Chester, Pa.  Teal Bunbury came off the bench and set up Charlie Davies for the equalizing goal in the 64th minute before scoring the winner himself off an assist from fellow substitute Diego Fagundez in the 76th minute.

The win improves the Revolution to 3-2-2 (11 points), tied for first place in the Eastern Conference, though they’ve played two more games than the New York Red Bulls and one more game than D.C. United, the current fellow first place teams.

With the Revolution plagued by injury, Jay Heaps made several changes to the line-up that drew 0-0 against the Columbus Crew at home last weekend. With defenders Jose Goncalves (left calf injury) and Darrius Barnes (left knee injury) both out due to injury and Chris Tierney still gaining fitness after a knock of his own, London Woodberry made his Revolution debut at right back and Jermaine Jones was pushed back to center back beside Andrew Farrell, with Kevin Alston starting on the left. Andy Dorman started in Jones’ place in midfield, while Juan Agudelo dropped back to a role on the wings in place of Teal Bunbury and Charlie Davies got the start up top.

The Revolution had the better of the early play, controlling the possession, but Philadelphia had a chance in the 16th minute after Fernando Aristeguieta beat Woodberry to a throw-in and ran in on goal. After playing the ball to CJ Sapong and getting it back, Aristeguieta hit a shot towards the far post from a tight angle. His effort deflected off goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth, bounced off the crossbar, and was cleared.

The Union would take the lead in the 42nd minute after a Jones foul gave them a free kick about thirty yards out. Cristián Maidana took the set piece and curled a shot that hit the post beat a diving Shuttleworth, hit the post and went in.

New England came out stronger in the second half and substitute Teal Bunbury made a huge impact in the 64th minute, just two minutes after coming on. Bunbury got the ball on the right flank and sent a dangerous cross in front of goal. Davies slipped his mark to tap in from close range into the empty net, making it 1-1.

Bunbury then put New England in the lead in the 76th minute. Fellow substitute Diego Fagundez got the ball on the right flank minutes after entering and sent a cross towards goal where Bunbury got behind the defense and slotted it in to put the Revolution up 2-1.

A minute later it was the Union on the attack and Maurice Edu unleased a long shot that Shuttleworth could only tip wide for a corner kick. On the ensuing corner only goal line clearances from Lee Nguyen and Woodberry kept shots from Aristeguieta and Edu from knotting the score.

From there, the Revolution held on against a late Philadelphia onslaught to get the win.

The Revolution return home to face Real Salt Lake on Saturday, April 25, at 7:30 p.m.

Leave a Reply