New England Soccer Today

Winning Momentum

Photo credit: Chris Aduama/

Photo credit: Chris Aduama/

The New England Revolution put an end to their four game winless run and finally built some momentum heading into the playoffs with a 3-1 win over New York City FC on Sunday evening in their final game of the regular season. The win clinched the fifth seed in the Eastern Conference for the Revolution and guaranteed a midweek knockout round match later this week at D.C. United, who fell 5-0 at the Columbus on Sunday.

Lee Nguyen opened the scoring for the Revolution in just the second minute and Charlie Davies doubled the lead in the 38th. Kelyn Rowe would clinch the victory with a 55th minute goal and only a stoppage time penalty kick for David Villa would prevent the Revolution from getting the shutout.

With the victory, the Revolution finished the season at 14-12-8 (50 points). NYC FC ended their first year in MLS at 10-17-7 (37 points) in eighth in the ten team Eastern Conference.

Revolution head coach Jay Heaps made two changes to the team that lost 1-0 to the Montreal Impact at home last week. Teal Bunbury returned from suspension and got the start over Diego Fagundez in midfield, while Davies returned to the starting striker role over Juan Agudelo.

The Revolution were on the front foot early and grabbed a second minute lead after Jermaine Jones found Charlie Davies in the box. Davies, with his back to goal, played it to Lee Nguyen in the center, who slotted it past Josh Saunders for his seventh goal of the season.

NYC FC had a chance against the run of play in the 10th minute when David Villa back-heeled a pass in the box to Thomas McNamara, but second year midfielder placed his shot just wide of the net.

Villa played provider again in the 37th minute when he sent in a perfect cross to the far post that found Chris Wingert. Wingert powered a header on frame that only an impressive reaction save by Bobby Shuttleworth kept out.

A minute later it was the Revolution doubling their lead when Davies brought down a long ball, beat one defender and held off another on a run into the box before slotting a shot off the far post and in from a tight angle. The goal was Davies’ tenth of the season.

Frank Lampard then threatened to score for the home side in the 42nd minute when the former English international got the ball at the top off the box off a corner kick and blasted a shot off the crossbar.

The visitors would have a chance to add a third on a 4 on 2 break in the 52nd minute. The ball was eventually played to Davies in the right side of the box, who sent it back to Bunbury. The ball was a bit behind him and Bunbury sent his shot well high of the net.

Two minutes later Shuttleworth preserved the shutout with a diving save on McNamara, who sent a curing shot from just outside the box.

Rowe would then make it 3-0 for New England with an impressive header off a Chris Tierney corner kick in the 55th minute.

Davies had a chance to double his tally on the night in the 69th minute, but was denied by a kick save from Saunders from just a few yards.

New York City would get a consolation goal in stoppage time after Revolution substitute Daigo Kobayashi was called for a handball in the box. Villa stepped up to take the ensuing penalty kick and slotted it into the lower corner past a diving Shuttleoworth.

The Revolution will travel face D.C. United in the one game knockout round on either Wednesday or Thursday.

Leave a Reply