New England Soccer Today

Revs Concede Late & Lose

Photo credit: Chris Aduama/

Second half substitute Jonathan Lewis doomed the Revolution to its latest road loss after scoring the go-ahead in stoppage time to give New York City FC a 2-1 win Sunday at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, N.Y.

Lewis scored the decider in the 90+4 minute after he latched onto a ball from Ben Sweat and beat Cody Cropper at the near post. Sweat also assisted on New York City’s first goal, which came from David Villa in the 77th minute.

The Revolution’s lone goal came from Teal Bunbury, who scored in the 57th minute after he pounced on a misplayed ball from Sean Johnson in front of the net.

Meanwhile, matters went from bad to worse for the Revolution shortly after surrendering the second goal. Kelyn Rowe suffered a leg injury following a collision with Alex Callen, and fell to the ground in obvious pain. Rowe had to be helped off the pitch and with only seconds remaining, did not return.

With the defeat, the 10th-place Revolution (29 points) remain winless in their 12 road tilts (0-9-3) this season. On the other side of the pitch, the victory allowed second-place City (46 points) to gain a chunk of ground on first-place Toronto FC (50 points).

Sunday’s match featured the debut of new signing Claude Dielna, who started alongside Antonio Delamea in the central defense. The addition of the French footballer shifted Benjamin Angoua to right back while Andrew Farrell manned the left.

Meanwhile, Xavier Kouassi made his first start since May 27. While there were a number of different faces on the field, two of the Revolution’s best attackers – Diego Fagundez and Lee Nguyen – were curiously listed among the substitutes, though Fagundez did eventually see second half action.

Amid a slow and uninspired first 45, Rowe recorded the best shout at goal by either team when he uncorked a 30-yard shot that Johnson got his fingertips on before it smacked the post in the 39th minute.

The scoreboard remained unscathed until the 57th minute, which witnessed Bunbury score his fifth goal in his last six games to put New England in front. The Revolution midfielder was the beneficiary of a head-scratching sequence in which Andrew Farrell forced a save from Johnson, who then proceeded to the leave the ball for taking right in front of him.

City stormed back in the 77th minute thanks to some lackadaisical defending from the Revolution, throwing the door open for Villa to strike from point blank range.

Any hopes of taking a point from Sunday’s affair died in stoppage time as Lewis, who entered the match in the 85th minute, received a pass from Sweat, then took a touch before sending it through moments before the final whistle.

The Revolution return to action on Saturday when they face DC United at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. Kickoff is 7:00pm.

The MLS originals drew 2-2 at Gillette Stadium on Apr. 22 before the locals claimed a 2-1 win over D.C. in an Open Cup Round of 16 clash on Jun. 28.


Leave a Reply