New England Soccer Today

Revs Fall Short At Home Again

Revolution defender Kevin Alston battles for the ball with Impact defender Dennis Iampichino during Sunday’s game. (Photo: Chris Aduama/

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – For the third straight home game, the Revolution fell 1-0, this time at the hands of the Montreal Impact Sunday night in front of 12,857. New England has now lost three straight – their longest losing streak of the season – and are winless in their last six (0-5-1).

“Heartbreaking. Disappointing. Not good enough,” Revolution head coach Jay Heaps said. “We’re struggling to find the way the way a little bit and it’s a really bad loss at home.”

Sanna Nyassi, twin brother of Revolution midfielder Sainey Nyassi, proved to be the super sub for Montreal, coming on at halftime and scoring 15 minutes later to give the away team the win.

The Impact midfielder pick pocketed Revolution midfielder Benny Feilhaber in Montreal’s half, sprinted down the field, beat two Revolution defenders before blasting it past Matt Reis for the game winner.

“It’s the third game in a row we’ve made a mistake and its come down and cost us,” Heaps said.

The Revolution haven’t scored at home since their last regular season win – July 8th against New York. On Sunday, it wasn’t because a lack of chances, though.

Defender Chris Tierney’s left footed toe poke curled through four players before clanking off the far post in the 36th minute. Five minutes later, Saer Sene’s blast from inside the area beat debuting Impact goalie Troy Perkins, but rattled off the crossbar.

“We’re playing some good soccer, getting behind defenses, and we’re shooting the ball well,” New England defender AJ Soares said. “It’s not going our way right now, we have to keep our heads up.”

The Revolution’s best chance in the second half came when Sene took a Lee Nguyen flick, only to see his close-ranged attempt tipped over by Perkins.

“Give their goalie some credit,” Revolution midfielder Clyde Simms said. “He made some big saves tonight, he had a very good game tonight for them and him and the post and crossbar kept them in the game, I believe.”

As seen in the past with Revolution opponents, Montreal used physical play throughout the game, drawing three yellow cards from referee Allen Chapman.

“Maybe it’s something we have to look at, becoming more physical ourselves,” Revolution midfielder Ryan Guy said. “I think it’s something that could affect our game in a positive way.”

New England regained the services of Honduran striker Jerry Bengtson, who returned from Olympic play, but the designated player didn’t have many touches and was subbed out in the 62nd minute for Fernando Cardenas.

“He looked a little tired,” Heaps said. “He’s been in Honduras for the last four, five days – he came back the other day. He had a training with us and two days with us. But also, we were just trying to change it up a little bit. We needed fresh legs in. That was really it.”

Despite 10 attempts on goal in the second half, the home team couldn’t break their scoreless streak.

“Just that final ball is lacking,” defender Chris Tierney said. “I think we’re getting into decent spots, we have good spells of possession, but when we get into that advanced third of the field it’s just about putting the ball on the money and committing to getting runs in the box and we haven’t been doing that lately.”

The Revolution are now 2-11 in games decided by one goal and their 2012 playoff hopes are almost all gone. With 11 games left on the schedule, only a perfect record would guarantee them a playoff spot according to

New England returns to action on Saturday, August 18th, when they visit Toyota Park to challenge the Chicago Fire. Game is scheduled to start at 8:30 p.m ET.

One Comment

Leave a Reply