Brown Earns 3rd Shutout, Beats Cleveland St.

Defender Dylan Remick scored inside of 10 minutes to help lead No. 22 Brown (3-0-0) to a 2-0 win over Cleveland State (2-2-0) in the Brown Soccer Classic on Friday at Stevenson Field in Providence, R.I.

Remick (10′) and fellow defender Eric Robertson (70′) collected their first goals of the season while Bears keeper Sam Kernan-Schloss recorded a pair of saves and earned his third-straight clean sheet of the young season. Brown has yet to allow goal this season through its first three contests.

Brown wasted little time grabbing the opening goal when Jameson Lochhead found himself surrounded by a score of Vikings defenders before he deferred to Remick, who hit a one-time blast through in the 10th minute. Although the hosts outshot their guests 10-8 in the first half, the Bears couldn’t capitalize again before the interval.

But with 20 minutes to go, Brown widened the margin when Voltaire Escalona fed a pass to Robertson, whose hard shot snuck under the bar to cap the scoring in the 70th minute.

The Bears return to Stevenson Field on Sunday when they host Fordham at 2:30 pm in the second game of the Brown Soccer Classic .

6 Comments

1. rick sewall

September 8, 2012 at 9:28 am

Cliff Stevenson was the first real recruiter in the northeast, maybe all over the country. He even had a soccer award in his name at some high school in Long Island. When Vogelsinger was using the all ball teaching method at Yale in the mid 60’s his reaction was what the hell was he doing with all those balls. Stevenson field is beautiful. My daughter played there from 2000 to 2004.

2. Brian O'Connell

September 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

Hey Rick,
    I appreciate the backstory. For some reason, I had always assumed it was named after a wealthy benefactor. Glad to know it’s named after a someone who really had an influence on the game.
    Your daughter must’ve had blast playing at Stevenson Field. As a spectator, it’s easily one of my favorite places to catch a game.

3. rick sewall

September 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm

When Michaela began at Brown they had a beautiful field. Two years later they refurbished it, bringing up to Old Trafford standards. Someone a Brown liked soccer. Cliff Stevenson hit the jackpot when he recruited Ben Brewster, with whom I played and coached with for many years.

4. Brian O'Connell

September 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm

You mean Ben Brewster, the kid who showed up at Brown a hockey player and left to pursue a pro soccer career? I know about him. What a find, indeed. I was at the induction ceremony when he was inducted into the New England Soccer Hall of Fame a few years ago. I sat next to him and his family. He’s a great guy. I’ll tell you, Rick, I could listen to his soccer stories from the 70s all day. Absolutely fascinating. Makes me wish I could time travel to have seen what the sport in this country was like back then.

5. rick sewall

September 11, 2012 at 8:53 am

Ben began playing soccer at age 16, when he ran into Hubert Vogelsinger, who quickly taught him how to play. He was my assistant at Hubert’s first overnight camp at Hotchkiss school in 1967, spending most of his time juggling a soccer ball. I can tell you that camp was an amazing experience. I have never worked so hard. Ben was the prime reason why Brown never lost to Yale while Hubert was there from 1966 to 74. Ben played with us at New Haven City, where we had a strong team in a strong league, which got weaker when several players went to the NASL, including Ben and Hubert as Minutemen coach. Ben is a great guy, a tireless coach, was a very fast left side player with a good shot, left and right. Ben was the toast of the city of Hartford when he played for the Bicentennials, scoring some beautiful goals, before going to the Minutemen in1974.

6. rick sewall

September 11, 2012 at 9:31 am

Ben also played with the Tea Men, a team which he totally enjoyed.