Reserve League: Revs Fall in Finale

Former Revolution trialist Jose Angulo scored for the Red Bulls reserves in Saturday’s 2-0 win over the Revolution reserves at Gillette Stadium.

Angulo, who trialed with the Revolution during the 2008 preseason, netted New York’s second goal in the 83rd minute while Stephen Keel kicked off the scoring in the 63rd minute. Keeper Luis Robles, who came to MLS last month during the allocation draft, earned the clean sheet.

The Revolution backline featured trialist Bilal Duckett, who played for Harrisburg (USL-PRO) this season, and Kareem Smith, a Boston native who’s currently a member of the Trinidad & Tobago National Team.

Midfielder Blair Gavin, who was acquired by the Revolution in the Aug. 1 trade that sent Shalrie Joseph to Chivas USA, went the full 90.

With the loss, the Revolution reserves finish their 2012 campaign with a 2-5-3 (9 pts.) record.

Print Friendly

1. Chris B

September 24, 2012 at 2:42 pm

So I guess depth is still an issue for the Revolution.

Number one offseason priority in my opinion is a veteran defender, preferably within MLS. Also preferably a CB.

Number two is defensive depth.

So yeah, defense is the major issue right now. They may consider drafting a striker in the first round to make up for Sene’s injury and to grow with the team in case Brettschneider and Imbongo don’t work out, etc.

2. Brian

September 24, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Does anyone know what happened with Tyler polak? I think he didn’t play again, ghats he been injured, are the revs hiding him as the ultimate secret weapon or do reserve games count against GA status?

• Chris B

September 24, 2012 at 9:03 pm

If he’s injured we’ll find out tomorrow when the injury report comes out. They very well may be preparing him to start and play games for the remainder of the season. I believe they played an Academy player at left back for this reserve game, they may want to get a look at that kid as they’ve seen Polak in many reserve games already.

With it being the end of the season and Tierney and Lechner injured, I see no excuse to play Polak.

• Chris B

September 24, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I meant “no excuse not to play Polak”.

I really want to see him play.

3. Brian O'Connell

September 24, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Hey guys,
    Saw Tyler in the locker room after Saturday’s first team game…for fear of revealing too much before tomorrow’s injury lists are released, it looked very much like he’s got an ankle/foot issue.

• Chris B

September 25, 2012 at 7:30 am

Mystery solved! Thanks Brian. I can’t believe injuries are hitting this team hard right now. I guess it’s good that the season’s basically over because it seems like everyone is getting hurt.

Hopefully Tyler can recover quickly and get a game or two in!