A Familiar Face Returns to the Fold

It turns out that Revolution fans haven’t seen the last of Andy Dorman after all.

Five years after he left the New England Revolution for Europe, the Welsh midfielder who helped steer the club to three consecutive MLS Cup appearances has re-signed with the organization that originally drafted him.

Dorman, 30, played in 112 games for the Revolution from 2004-2007, scoring 17 goals and adding 18 assists. Following his departure, he went on to play for St. Mirren’s (2008-2010), Crystal Palace (2010-11) and Bristol Rovers (2011-12).

“I’m really excited to be coming back to Boston,” Dorman said in a statement. “It was my first professional club and a place I always look back at with great memories. I owe a lot to New England, for giving me the chance to play professional soccer and the opportunity to play in the UK.”

During his tenure in Foxboro, Dorman became a fixture in the Revolution midfield. His 112 career games are the 10th most in club history, with his 17 goals and 18 assists also 10th best all-time.

His final appearance in a Revolution uniform came in the 2007 MLS Cup Final, which the Revolution lost 2-1 against the Dynamo on Nov. 18, 2007.

Interestingly, Dorman had seen his role reduced in the final months of the 2007 season. Then-Revolutuion manager Steve Nicol cited the need to emphasize possession as the reason for dropping Dorman, despite the fact that the Welshman had scored seven goals before the All-Star break.

By the end of the season, the writing was on the wall, and the popular midfielder expectedly left to pursue other opportunities.

But years later, with former teammate Jay Heaps at the helm, Dorman considered the possibility of a return following the expiration of his loan deal with Bristol Rovers.

And after speaking with Heaps, Dorman believed that it was an opportunity he couldn’t pass up.

“I was really impressed with everything he said about the team and his plans going forward,” Dorman said. “I was really impressed with everything he said about the team and his plans going forward. And from everything I saw last year, the team isn’t far away.”

In acquiring Dorman, the Revolution get a proven performer in the midfield who can play centrally, as well as out wide. With five seasons worth of European experience on his resume, it’s likely that he’ll also be called upon to become a leader on a team that struggled to find an identity in 2012.

“I hope I can add a bit of experience to the team,” Dorman said. “There’re a lot of young players and if we can get a good blend of youth and experience, it will put us in a good position for next year.”

Print Friendly

1. rick sewall

November 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Let’s hope that, with his added European experience, Andy will be the second coming of Paul Scholes.

2. Chris B

November 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Great news! Kicking off the offseason moves on a high note!

3. RISApres

November 15, 2012 at 3:29 pm

a continuing slide into irrelevance and mediocrity. Why? Thank God I broke my addiction and cancelled my season tickets after 16 years. This ownership group never got it, never will. Can’t wait till they move north away from Rhode Island

4. Paul

November 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm

This club plays cheap, pays cheap, always signs players at bargains. It’ll be difficult for success in 2013. you’ll get what you paid for.

5. Revs GO Revs

November 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm

This is a definite sign that Benny is gone.

6. W Peter Jones

November 15, 2012 at 7:52 pm

GOOD MOVE Mr Heaps & Mr Burns?????????????????????? Dorman will work his tail off for the Revs More than Benny has done in the last couple of Seasons for the Revs, Benny is over rated and over paid he is DUD trade him

7. brian

November 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I don’t understand this signing at all but will try to keep an open mind. As I recall dorman was a nicol midfielder, more interested in route 1. I guess it fits in with later games in the season when that philosophy was abandoned so it does not constitute a switch, that switch already occurred 2/3 of the way the past season.

8. W Peter Jones

November 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Hey Brian You are correct Mr Dorman was a Nichol signing( ex Boston College product) he played for the Revs for a few seasons he moved across the Pond because the Revs were not willing to increase his pay, he moved to St Mirran -Crystal Palace & Bristol Rovers on Loan while in the UK he earned a couple caps for Wales hes a Green Card status .At least the Revs know what they are getting in a player more than the Players they have sighned in the last couple of seasons

• Brian O'Connell

November 17, 2012 at 12:52 am

Very true, Peter. But the last time he was on the field, it was for a lowly League 2 club. If his name wasn’t “Andy Dorman,” I think there’d be a lot of question marks.

9. rick sewall

November 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Can Andy shoot or is he , kind of like the rest of the team, make believe? Shooting the ball properly is a lot more than just whacking it with the laces.

10. Brian O'Connell

November 17, 2012 at 12:49 am

Wow, you’re testing my memory there, Rick! From what I remember, his shooting didn’t exactly stand out. Most of his goals, if my memory serves me right, were of the close range variety thanks to smart, off-the-ball runs.

11. rick sewall

November 17, 2012 at 8:46 am

If Andy is a smart player I’ll take that anytime.

12. W Peter Jones

November 17, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Hey Brien, Dorman left St Mirran and was sighned up by Mr Burley of Crystal Palace then Burley got the boot and his assistant Fieldman took over, Dorman fell out of favour with Fieldman and was on loan last season with Bristol Rovers . Hey we have to see how things pan out with the Revs we cannnot do any worse with the players they have got over the years the only GEMS so for the Revs have sighned are Simms-Lee- Sien

13. rick sewall

November 17, 2012 at 10:39 pm

The fact that Andy played for three teams in not too many years below the top level raises a bit of a red flag to me. Reminds me of Lecic. I do not remember Andy’s style of play but if he can be a hard worker and pass the ball to the three players W Peter mentioned above he and the Revs could be ok. Time will tell.