Mass Premier Coasts to USOC State Final

Nick Christman and Dan MacGregor each tallied twice in Mass Premier Soccer’s 8-1 annihiliation of Strela Negra at Citizens Bank Field in Sunday’s U.S. Open Cup semi-final qualifying contest.

Christman struck on each side of the interval, while MacGregor found both of his goals in the first half. Matt Hoff, Tyler Macnee, Kevin Unger and Jake Edwards also scored for Mass Premier. Jibita Sombaros scored Strela Negra’s goal just before the break.

The match concluded in controversy after a Strela Negra punched a Mass Premier player following Edwards’ strike in the waning minutes. The offender was issued a red card, and the referee held the ball until the clock expired.

Mass Premier’s win booked them a spot in the Massachusetts state final, where they’ll play East Providence Sports, who claimed a 4-3 win over Battery Park Gunners in Saturday’s semifinal.

The date and time of the final has not yet been announced.

Hank Alexandre contributed to this report.

Print Friendly

1. rick sewall

November 19, 2012 at 7:07 am

I’d be interested in knowing the date, time, and location of the final game. Sounds interesting.

2. Brian O'Connell

November 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

The original schedule had it slated for the weekend of Dec. 8, but apparently, that may have changed. In any event, we’ll post the date, time and place as soon as it’s official.

3. rick sewall

November 19, 2012 at 10:32 am

Thanks. Prompt responses are always appreciated.

4. Steve Bayley

November 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm

For a more flowery and robust description of the events, replete with arcane and nonsensical references, feel free to check my recap on DITP.

5. rick sewall

November 20, 2012 at 7:42 am

Steve, I hereby nominate you as a candidate to win the annual Brian O’Connell flowery soccer sportswriting trophy. Description of events? Arcane references? All truly outstanding. You are making Rice and Smith take a back seat.

6. rick sewall

November 20, 2012 at 8:33 am

After my wife taught me how to double click I was able to read the whole article. I wasn’t disappointed. The game reminded of many I played in the Connecticut league in the ’60s and 70’s. I totally agree with your description of the soccer scene as a whole in Mass. and the problems caused by the British accent, one reason why I want EP to win.

• Steve Bayley

November 20, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Rick, Thank you for your kind words. I really want to take in some of the Connecticut League matches for Deep In The Pyramid. Danbury United specifically looks like they have a great little club and field combo, I also want to go see Polonia in New Britain, and take a trip to the Met Oval in Queens. These are all on the DITP agenda. As far as Massachusetts is concerned the Portuguese set the bar.