After standing pat in Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Process last week, the New England Revolution adopted a proactive approach for Stage 2 by selecting forward Chad Barrett and defender Hunter Freeman on Friday.
Barrett, who was picked in round one of Stage 2, scored one goal in 18 games for the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2012 before he was loaned out to Norwegian side Valerenga in July. He did not score in five appearances with Valerenga. His 2012 guaranteed salary was listed at $253,333.
Freeman, who was picked in round two, played in 19 games for the Colorado Rapids in 2012. He collected a career-high five assists on the season as an outside back. His 2012 salary number was listed at $110,792.
Per MLS rules, the league will extend contract offers to both players within the next seven days.
“With Hunter and Chad, we’ve chosen two players who have a lot of MLS experience,” Revolution General Manager Michael Burns said in a statement on Friday. “Should they decide to continue playing in MLS, we believe they can have a significant impact on our squad. We also expect their professionalism and leadership will have a positive impact in our locker room.”
Additionally, Revolution head coach Jay Heaps believes that Barrett and Freeman have plenty to offer on the field.
“We’ve spent a lot of time breaking down film of these players,” Heaps said in a statement on Friday. “I thought (they had) what would help us the best. And I think that these players were players I’ve known because I’ve played against them, but also I’ve seen enough film to know that they have a lot of value.”
Meanwhile, midfielder Blair Gavin and goalkeeper Tim Murray, both of whom had their options declined by the Revolution last month and were eligible for the Re-Entry Process, were not selected by a club on Friday.
2012 RE-ENTRY DRAFT STAGE 2
1. Toronto FC — DF Danny Califf
2. Los Angeles Galaxy — MF Colin Clark
3. Portland Timbers — PASS
4. New England Revolution — FW Chad Barrett
5. Philadelphia Union — FW Conor Casey
6. Colorado Rapids — MF Eric Avila
7. FC Dallas — DF Stephen Keel
8. Montreal Impact — PASS
9. Columbus Crew — PASS
10. Vancouver Whitecaps — FW Paulo Jr.
11. Chicago Fire — PASS
12. Real Salt Lake — MF Lovel Palmer
13. NY Red Bulls — PASS
14. Sporting Kansas City — PASS
15. San Jose Earthquakes — DF Dan Gargan
16. Seattle Sounders — PASS
17. D.C. United — MF John Thorrington
18. Houston Dynamo — PASS
19. Chivas USA — PASS
1. Toronto FC — PASS
2. LA Galaxy — GK Will Hesmer
3. New England Revolution — DF Hunter Freeman
4. Philadelphia Union — PASS
5. Colorado Rapids — PASS
6. FC Dallas — PASS
7. Vancouver Whitecaps — PASS
8. Real Salt Lake — PASS
9. San Jose Earthquakes — DF Ty Harden
10. D.C. United — PASS
1. LA Galaxy — PASS
2. New England Revolution — PASS
3. San Jose Earthquakes — DF Bryan Jordan
1. San Jose Earthquakes — PASS