New England Soccer Today

Davies Double as Revs Trounce Crew, 4-2

(Photo credit: Chris Aduama/

(Photo credit: Chris Aduama/

The New England Revolution scored four times in a playoff game for the first time in club history on their way to a 4-2 victory over the Columbus Crew. Charlie Davies scored twice and Lee Nguyen and Chris Tierney added a goal apiece as New England takes a commanding lead into the home leg of their two game Eastern Conference Semifinal matchup.

Head coach Jay Heaps made just one change to the line-up that won 1-0 against Toronto FC at Gillette Stadium in the team’s final regular season match last week with Teal Bunbury replacing Diego Fagundez in the midfield.

New England threatened to score after sustained pressure in the 17th minute. Andrew Farrell was denied by Steve Clark at the near post, but the rebound fell to Jermaine Jones, whose long shot was deflected just high of the net.

Five minutes later, New England threatened again when Charlie Davies turned his man at the top of the box, but his left footed shot was punched clear by Clark.

The Crew came close in the 29th minute after a poorly cleared corner kick, kept the Crew on the attack. Waylon Francis played Federico Higuaín into the box and with an onrushing Bobby Shuttleworth coming hit a powerful shot past the keeper only to see it clang off the crossbar and be cleared out.

The Revolution took the lead in the 34th minute after earning a free kick on the right flank. Kelyn Rowe sent in a cross from the right flank that found Charlie Davies, who beat his man to the far post and scored with a diving header.

Bunbury had a chance to add to the lead in the 49th minute, when Rowe beat the offside trap and teed up Bunbury near the six yard box. Bunbury one timed a shot on frame, but his effort was deflected right at Clark, who made the save.

Two minutes later New England doubled their lead after Jones was fouled just outside the box. Chris Tierney curled the set piece perfectly into the upper corner to make it 2-0.

The Crew would pull one back in the 63rd minute after a spell of possession in their offensive third. The ball fell to Higuain who sent a low pass to Justin Meram that made its way through the box. Meram finished strongly past Shuttleworth to make it 2-1.

But New England would go up by two again in the 70th minute on a counterattack. Jermaine Jones played Nguyen around midfield and Nguyen ran forward towards goal, while Jones was elbowed by Waylon Francis of the ball. The referee allowed play to go on and Nguyen got to the top of the box before hitting a low shot into the lower corner.

Davies then made it 4-1 in the 78th minute after getting the ball from Scott Caldwell. Davies dribbled forward before blasting a long shot past a diving Clark to give the Revolution three goal lead.

The Crew would give themselves some late hope after earning a stoppage time penalty kick from a Jose Goncalves handball. Higuain would make no mistake chipping a shot down the middle as Shuttleworth dove the wrong way to cut the deficit to 4-2.

The Revolution returns to Foxboro for the home leg of the two game series on Sunday, October 9 at 5p.m. in a commanding position with a two goal advantage and four away goals in the books.

One Comment

Leave a Reply