New England Soccer Today

Davies, Offense Leads Revolution to 3-1 Win

Photo Credit: Jeff Bernstein

Photo Credit: Jeff Bernstein

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution extended their unbeaten streak to three games with a 3-1 win over Eastern Conference rivals Toronto FC in front of 21,362 at Gillette Stadium on Saturday night. Charlie Davies opened the scoring in the 35th minute, a Jozy Altidore red card put Toronto down a man in the 39th minute and then Lee Nguyen doubled the lead just before halftime on a penalty kick. Davies would score his second in the 62nd minute before Jonathan Osorio scored a 75th minute consolation goal for the visitors to give the game its final 3-1 scoreline.

“It was a good three points for us and I thought it was a good performance,” said Revolution head coach Jay Heaps. “I thought our energy to start the game was really good. We were able to score that first goal and then when a player gets a red card there are different reactions in a game: sometimes you can pull back a little bit, but I thought we continued to be the aggressor and that’s what we needed to do.”

The win improved the Revolution to 8-9-7 (31 points) on the season, temporarily lifting them to fourth in the East, though many of their rivals have multiple games in hand.

Heaps made two changes to the team that drew 2-2 with the Chicago Fire last weekend. Bobby Shuttleworth came back in goal to replace Brad Knighton, while Kelyn Rowe started over Teal Bunbury in midfield. Jermaine Jones would come off the bench in the second half for his first appearance since being injured on May 31st.

The Revolution had an opportunity in the 13th minute when Daigo Kobayashi played Chris Tierney behind the defense and into the left side of the box with a through ball. Tierney ran towards goal and hit a low shot on frame, but Joseph Bendik was well positioned to make the save.

The visitors had a chance in the 25th minute off a corner kick. Giovinco took it short to Justin Morrow who sent in a cross from the left flank. The cross found Robbie Findley making a late run and the Toronto striker sent a header towards the far post, but his effort went wide.

New England then took the lead in the 35th minute after earning a free kick outside the box on the right side. Chris Tierney sent it to Rowe in the right side of the box, who one-timed a low pass across goal. Davies fought through a cluster of defenders to redirect it past Bendik from close range.

“I saw that the ball was over the top for Kelyn and I just had to position myself near post and make sure I got there,” said Davies. “Kelyn put it on a dime for me and I just had to get my body in the way and it ricocheted off me, so pure striker’s goal. Garbage goal; we’ll take it.”

Four minutes later, things got even better for the Revolution after U.S. International striker Jozy Altidore was sent off for lashing out and kicking New England captain Jose Goncalves after the two battled for the ball. Referee Chris Penso was quick to pull out the red card, giving the Revolution a man advantage.

The Revolution then doubled their lead in the 44th after earning a penalty kick when Rowe was dragged down in the box by Damien Perquis. Nguyen took the penalty and powered it into the lower corner to give the Revolution a 2-0 lead.

New England had an early second half chance five minutes after the break. Rowe got the ball in space on the right flank and sent a cross into the box that fell perfectly to Davies. Davies attempted to direct it on frame, but couldn’t get enough power to beat Bendik.

Another Rowe cross proved dangerous for the Revolution in the 58th minute. This one found Rowe just outside the box. Rowe ran forward and then hammered a shot towards the near post that only an impressive diving save from Bendik kept out.

Davies then got his second of the night in the 62nd minute when a Tierney free kick was directed across goal by Rowe, but deflected off Benoit Cheyrou and found Davies behind the defense for an easy tap-in to score his ninth goal of the season.

“Again, Kelyn was in a good position,” said Davies. “It came across and I just had to volley it home. These are the types of goals that get you going; not only for me personally, but as a team.”

Toronto would pull one back through Jonathan Osorio in the 75th minute. Orsorio got the ball from Marky Delgado and then blasted a shot from just outside the box past Shuttleworth to cut the deficit to 3-1.

Shortly after the goal, Jermaine Jones would enter for Daigo Kobayashi, making his first appearance for New England since suffering an injury on May 31st.

The Revolution would hold on from there to get an important three points. New England has a bye week before the Houston Dynamo come to Foxboro on Aug. 15.

Leave a Reply