New England Soccer Today

Faltering in Philly

The New England Revolution suffered their first defeat of the season on Sunday, falling 3-0 to the Philadelphia Union at Talen Energy Stadium in Chester, Pa. CJ Sapong scored in the 18th and 33rd minutes while the Revolution right back Je-Vaughn Watson was ejected in the 36th minute, all but dooming the Revolution to a loss. Sebastian Le Toux would clinch the match with a third goal to make it 3-0 deep in stoppage time.

Bobby Shuttleworth saved penalty kicks from Ilsinho and Le Toux in first half stoppage time and in the 79th minute respectively, to keep the score from becoming even worse.

Some back-and-forth early play led to few changes, but the Union would take the lead in the 18th minute after a Revolution turnover in their own half. Fabinho powered down the left flank and sent a cross into the box. Andrew Farrell attempted to clear with a diving header, but whiffed, leaving Sapong to bring down the ball and turn on Jose Goncalves. Sapong’s shot deflected off Goncalves and beat Bobby Shuttleworth to put the home side up 1-0.

Four minutes later Lee Nguyen threatened with a shot from just outside of 20 yards. Nguyen’s effort was curling inside the post, but a diving Andre Blake pushed it with for a corner kick.

The Union would then double their led in the 33rd minute with Sapong’s second goal of the match. Fabinho found Warren Creavalle on the left flank, who cut into the box before sending a centering pass to Sapong. Sapong turned and slotted a shot past Shuttleworth to double the Union’s lead.

Two minutes later Nguyen nearly pulled one back on a free kick from about 25 yards. Nguyen curled a shot over the wall that hit the near post, then hit the other post, but never crossed the line before Blake smothered it.

The Revolution suffered another blow in the 36th minute when Je-Vaughn Watson was ejected for a dangerous slide tackle on Roland Alberg, leaving the team down a man for the rest of the match.

Philadelphia should’ve made it 3-0 deep into first half stoppage time when Ilsinho was attempting to dribble through the top of the box and went down running into Farrell, earning a penalty kick. Ilsinho stepped up to take the penalty and drove a shot to Shuttleworth’s right, but the Revolution keeper read it well and made the save to keep the deficit at two going into the break.

The Union had another chance seven minutes into the second half with the shorthanded Revolution defense stretched, but Chris Pontius’ one-on-one shot from a few yards out was right at Shuttleworth, who made the save.

New England attempted to add to their offense late bringing on strikers Juan Agudelo and Femi Hollinger-Janzen in the 63rd and 75th minute for Diego Fagundez and Teal Bunbury, respectively. Rookie Hollinger-Janzen, a third round pick in this year’s SuperDraft who just signed this week, was making his debut.

It was the Union who would have a chance to add to their lead in the 79th minute after Sapong went down in the Revolution box under what appeared to be little contact. Substitute Sebastien Le Toux took the penalty and sent it down the middle where Shuttleworth easily made the saved for his second penalty kick save of the night.

Zachary Herivaux came on in the 86th minute for Scott Caldwell, becoming the second Revolution player to make his MLS debut on the night.

Agudelo had perhaps the Revolution’s best chance of the nigh in the 88th minute with a shot from inside the box on the right side, but it was well saved by Blake.

Shuttleworth made another big save when Fabian Herbers got behind the defense in the 90th minute. Shuttleworth made a diving save from point-blank range to keep the score at 2-0.

Le Toux than made it 3-0 in the third minute of stoppage time. Slotting it past Shuttleworth off a cross from fellow substitute Leo Fernandes on a counter attack to close out the match.

New England returns to action on Saturday, March 26 against New York City FC at Yankee Stadium at 3pm ET.


Leave a Reply