New England Soccer Today

Tying the Timbers

Photo credit: Kari Heistad/

Photo credit: Kari Heistad/

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (1-2-6, 9 points) benefited from an 89th minute own goal to get their sixth draw of the season, settling for a point in a 1-1 tie against the defending MLS Cup Champions Portland Timbers (2-3-3, 9 points) on Wednesday night at Gillette Stadium. The Revolution dominated possession, but the visitors took the lead through Jack Barmby in the 64th minute only for an 89th minute Jermaine Taylor own goal to allow the Revolution to escape with a point.

The match saw Charlie Davies’ return to the starting line-up, but it was short lived as he went down injured and was replaced by Juan Agudelo in the 35th minute. Donnie Smith saw his first action of the year, replacing the injured Chris Tierney at left back, while Daigo Kobayashi got his first start of the season, preferred over Scott Caldwell in midfield.

New England controlled most of the possession in the first half, including plenty in their attacking third, but couldn’t generate a shot on target in the opening period. Portland, meanwhile, looked dangerous on the counterattack, but failed to test Revolution goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth.

Just ten seconds into the second half the Revolution would get their first attempt on frame, but Timbers ‘keeper Jake Gleeson made an impressive save on a shot from Kelyn Rowe just outside the box.

New England would continue to press forward and peg Portland back, but the Timbers would score on a quick counterattack in the 64th minute after generating nothing on the offensive end all half. A long ball started a play that ended with Darlington Nagbe finding substitute Jack Barmby in the box. Barmby appeared to mishit the ball, hammering it into the ground, but Shuttleworth misread the shot, perhaps expecting another Portland player in the box to get a touch, and it bounced over him and into the net to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

The Revolution pressured for an equalizer from there and it finally paid off in the 89th minute when a deep cross from Rowe found Je-Vaughn Watson behind the defense at the endline. Watson played it back across goal where Portland defender Jermaine Taylor, under pressure from Revolution substitute Femi Hollinger-Janzen, deflected it into his own net to knot the score at 1-1.

The home side pushed for a winner, but couldn’t test Gleeson again and were forced to settle for a draw.

New England remains at home and will face Orlando City SC on Saturday at 7:30pm.


  1. Peter

    April 28, 2016 at 6:59 am

    The kid femi je hollinger janzen seem to make thing happens when he’s on the field mayb he should b the number 9 the game was boring until he appeared on the pitch GIVE him more minutes ?? Is it HEAPS tatics or what are the REVS afraid to shoot at the goal to much passing to each other across the Goal Lee holds on to the ball to much get rid of it MEN of the match 4 me last nght Watson and Janzen PS cold night the wind chill must have been in the teens at gillete last nght

    • Andrew

      April 28, 2016 at 11:40 am

      Went to the game last night. Slow build up play, no width, too much passing in the final third, not enough shooting. REVS have become too predictable. Thank goodness for the OG.

Leave a Reply