New England Soccer Today

Open Cup Dreams Doused

Photo credit: Kari Heistad/

Photo credit: Kari Heistad/

Losing in a championship final – it is a script all too familiar with the New England Revolution and their fans. While fans were hopeful of an upset to end the tortured tradition, a clearly superior FC Dallas added another chapter as the Revs fell 4-2 in the championship match of the 103rd edition of the U.S. Open Cup front of 16,612 spectators at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas.

Mauro Diaz led the FC Dallas offense scoring on a penalty kick and assisted on the three other goals. Maximillano Urruti scored twice for FC Dallas with Matt Hedges contributing the other goal. Juan Agudelo was one of the few bright spots for the Revolution, as he registered both goals for the visitors.

The Revolution actually struck first in the sixth minute when Agudelo weaved his way through the FC Dallas defense and sent a thunderous strike into the far corner of the net. The celebration would be short-lived, however, as Urruti volleyed a shot past Brad Knighton to tie the game in the 15th minute.

Following Dallas’ goal, FC Dallas remained in control of the match holding the majority of possession in the first half and limited any offensive movement by the Revs. Dallas had 64.6 percent possession in the first half and the Revs only registered one shot – Agudelo’s early goal.

The wheels began to fall off for the Revolution in the 30th minute when Gershon Koffie went down with an ankle injury. Though he remained on the field for another ten minutes, he was ineffective while Dallas built momentum.

In the 40th minute, the Revolution cleared a corner kick, but Dallas possessed the ball outside of the box and Mauro Diaz crossed to Matt Hedges, who cut into the box unmarked and headed home a goal giving FC Dallas the lead.

Koffee was substituted off for Kei Kamara shortly after the goal, but the Revolution could not hold off momentum or regain possession. During stoppage time, Je-Vaughn Watson was next to be hit with the injury bug, and Chris Tierney was subbed on, leaving the Revs with only one sub for the second half.

In extended extra time before halftime, FC Dallas swung a free kick into the box for Hedges, who was tangled up with Jose Goncalves. Goncalves was whistled for a foul and Mauro Diaz converted the penalty to end his amazing first half with one goal and two assists.

The Revolution came out of the break holding the majority of possession and had glimpses of life. Chris Tierney crosses a dangerous ball into the box that skimmed off of Agudelo’s head, which almost pulled the deficit to one. However, FC Dallas soon began hitting quick counter-attacks that were more and more dangerous over time.

In the 62nd minute, Mauro Diaz gained possession in the ball at midfield and led a long through pass to Urruti, who had a clear breakaway on goal. Brad Knighton got a leg to the shot, but didn’t get enough on it, as the lead was increased to 4-1.

Agudelo gave the Revolution some hope late in the game when he connected with a low Teal Bunbury cross in the 73rd minute, making the game 4-2. It would be too little, too late, however, as FC Dallas didn’t allow the Revs another substantial scoring opportunity.

The result adds another frustrating chapter to the Revolution’s season and history. Adding onto an 0-5 record in the MLS Cup, New England now has their second loss in three US Open Cup Finals.


  1. Robert

    September 14, 2016 at 12:33 pm

    Very disappointing. We just allow too many goals. I understand that Koffie and Watson went down, but the defense has been a problem all season. Before the start, I think anybody would have been estatic with two goals in Frisco which makes me even more frustrated that the club could not address the backline issues during the Summer transfer window.

    • Peter

      September 14, 2016 at 3:54 pm

      I am wondering why the ref didn’t s show any yellow cards to Dallas players b4 the Revs got there’s ? It’s seems the refs favor the home team more than the away team some of those Dallas player were worth a yellow card especially on koffie foul .Also the team looked in better in the attacking mode when Tierney and Bunbary came into the game mayb they should had them both coming on to the pitch earlier in the game

  2. Rick Sewall

    September 15, 2016 at 9:48 am

    Because the Revs often don’t have the talent other teams have they will always have difficulties playing a good opponent on a proper soccer field. Maybe they should stay at Gillette with its artificial turf, shortened dimensions , and football lines.

    I was distressed by Kelyn Rowe’s missed shot in the 68th minute. He had every chance to kick the ball at least on target, but the fact that he had a big curve in his swing and pulled his head up when the ball was only half way to the goal resulted in a totally inadequate follow through with the ball going way over the bar. He simply doesn’t know how to shoot a soccer ball, plain and simple. The same can be said for Fagundez , Nguyen, and several other members of the team.

    In a 34 game season proper technique by a team may result in only a few goals, but these goal could determine whether or not you make the playoffs. It would help the Revs a lot if all their players could shoot the ball with authority from distance.

Leave a Reply