Revs stadium in Revere?

Representatives for Robert Kraft have been in contact with Revere Mayor Daniel Rizzo about building a stadium for the New England Revolution, according to a report in the Lynn, Mass. Daily Item.

Rizzo is working on plan for the 26-acre Wonderland Greyhound Park which was shut down on August 19, 2010; shortly after the state-wide ban on dog racing went into effect. Rizzo is exploring the potential of a satellite college campus with private businesses surrounding it, an arts and cultural center or possibly a stadium for the New England Revolution.

Rizzo told the Daily Item that he had been e-mailing back and forth with Kraft representatives about the idea, but that talks had just been “informative at this point.” Wonderland’s owners have partnered with Suffolk Downs in an attempt to build one of Massachusetts first casinos, but according to Suffolk Chief Operating Officer Chip Tuttle, Suffolk has a commitment with Revere officials to not develop the casino at Wonderland.

Suffolk is expected take ownership of Wonderland within the next few weeks. Tuttle told the Daily Item that any plans for site will consider views of local officials and residents.

Wonderland Greyhound Park is located directly across from the Wonderland MBTA station on the Blue Line. Wonderland is the northern-most stop on the Blue Line, which extends to Bowdoin station near Beacon Hill in Boston. Travel time from Government Center to Wonderland is approximately 21 minutes and there are plans to extend the line to Lynn.

Print Friendly

11 Comments

1. Mat

January 28, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Better than no news. Thanks for sharing

2. Chris B

January 28, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I would support this. Revere is my backyard so the games would be accessible for me but I don’t know about everyone else! And I agree with Mat; this shows Kraft is actually trying to find a stadium which is something all Revs fans can support regardless of where it is (however, the location is important don’t get me wrong!)

Sean, would you happen to know if Dan Rizzo is a Revs fan or he just wants something to put on that land? Not really important but it would better our chances if the mayor actually knew who the Revs are and likes them.

• Sean Donahue

January 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Good question, Chris. I’m not sure if he is a Revs fan, but there was some talk that Rizzo was in discussions about a possible stadium back when he was a councilor and running for Mayor – I’d take that as a good sign, but still a long way away from this actually happening.

• Chris B

January 28, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Definitely. I think the Revs need more political support. I have seen a state senator tweeting about them but that’s about it.

3. George

January 28, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Good luck Rev’s fan’s.I’m hoping you guy’s get your own stadium.

4. Scott Fraser

January 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm

If it would happen it would be great for Revere ,the north shore fans and every one who like soccer. Because it is across the´street from “MBTA Wonderlad Blue Line Station” which they are in progress of finishing their new 6 story’s parking garage. Mr. Kraft would need to make Wonderland dog track a mini Gillette Stadium for the New England Revolutions like he did for the possible 2011/2021 NewEngland Patriots Superbowl Champions!!

5. Jim

January 29, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Rizzo had people on his election campaign staff who are Revs fans and alerted him to the fact that the team was looking for a stadium location. From what I heard from them, he thought the team was doing great at Gillette and was surprised attendance was so bad.

This is news, yes, but doesn’t sound like anything’s going to get done before the decade is out, which is far too late.

6. Rene

January 30, 2012 at 10:46 am

I think the Revs should keep the team in Foxboro maybe in it’s own stadium near Gillette. It is a developed property with good access from most places. Putting a Soccer only stadium in Somerville or Revere only makes sense if the main source of support was Boston and the near suburbs. I don’t think that is the case. Also, traditionally NE fans only support winning teams and a new stadium would mean increased ticket prices, right? That becomes a bigger issue of losing fans while not picking up new fans. Am I off base with this assessment?

• anon

February 2, 2012 at 11:34 am

I think you are completely off-base with that statement.

• Abram

February 2, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I don’t think you are far off as far as winning teams in Boston doing better than losing teams –except with the Red Sox. However, a new stadium in an inner Boston suburb could potentially help with attendance problems. Though the idea of a shoddy product in a new stadium is also unappealing. Nevertheless, a new stadium would probably mean putting money to improve the onfield product as well–or at least I hope it would. After all you can put a candy shell on a turd, but at the end of the day it will still be a turd.

7. Connor

April 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I’d always hoped that they would forego the Boston idea for Providence, which has much more available land in an area much closer to it’s central train station, downcity hub, hotels, restaurants, etc. After moving Route 195 there’s a huge, huge amount of free land that the city and state are just not figuring out what to do with.

There’s a huge immigrant population directly in the city and surrounding areas, it’s only a 45 min – hour drive from Boston, and it’s much closer than Boston to other big cities in the area like Hartford and NYC. Not to mention they’d probably get a massive tax break from the State looking to spur development and investment (just like they did with Curt Shillings video game company).

Just a thought.