Revs open preseason with win

REPORT UPDATED WITH INFORMATION FROM PRESS RELEASE

The New England Revolution won its first preseason match, 2-1, against PDL expansion team FC Tucson in a modified 105 minute match on Saturday at Grande Sports World in Casa Grande, Ariz.

Gambians Sainey Nyassi and Kenny Mansally each scored in the match that was broken up into two 35-minute periods and a final 45-minute period.  The Revs switched line-ups all three periods. Trialists Jeremiah White, Junior N’Tame, and David Foley all saw time as did unsigned MLS Supplemental Draft picks Dawyne “Rick” Smith, Alec Purdie, Mike Roach, and Kevin Garcia. Saër Sène is no longer training with the team, according Revolution Staff Writer & Online Host Jeff Lemiux.

The Revs started the match with veteran Matt Reis in goal behind a backline of Kevin Alston, A.J. Soares, John Lozano and Chris Tierney. White started with Benny Feilhaber, Shalrie Joseph and first round draft pick Kelyn Rowe in the midfield while Roach played up top with Nyassi.

The Revs went scoreless in the first 35 minute period, but came close with Lozano hitting the crossbar off a corner kick early in the match.

For the second 35 minute period N’Tame replaced Lozano and Fernando Cardenas and Rick Smith played up top, replacing White and Roach with Nyassi moving to right midfield.

Nyassi would open the scoring three minutes after moving to the right, heading in a cross from Rowe. Smith had two chances to add to the lead, but  saw a 40th minute header off a cross from Rowe go high and a 59th minute header off a Rowe corner kick cleared off the line.

The Revs started the final 45 minute period with a completely new line-up. Bobby Shuttleworth was in net behind rookie Tyler Polak, Stephen McCarthy, Darrius Barnes, and Zak Boggs. Purdie joined Clyde Simms, Diego Fagundez and Ryan Kinne in the midfield with Kenny Mansally and Zack Schilawski playing up top.

Kinne would set-up the Revs winning goal 19 minutes into the final period after being fouled in the box by FC Tucson’s Harvey Martinez.  Mansally would step up and finish the penalty to put the Revs ahead 2-0.

FC Tucson would put some pressure on the Revs as the match came to its conclusion, with Milos Dragic pulling one back for the local club in the 101st minute. Juan Mendez would miss a couple of late chances for FC Tucson before the match finished 2-1.

Foley and Garcia appeared for the Revs as substitutes in the final period.

Print Friendly

6 Comments

1. Chris B

January 28, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I’m not sure you have the info Sean, but are we to assume Sene was just training with the Revs for some reason and not for a contract with the team? It seems highly unlikely the Revs would release him at this early stage and after a good goal in the intra squad game.

• Sean Donahue

January 29, 2012 at 12:05 am

I don’t know the answer, but I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t on trial looking for a contract. It is possible he had other trials lined up and may have left to train with another team or even that he already impressed enough for the Revs to have entered into negotiations and he’s gone back to Europe to take care of things there (though I’d imagine this is unlikely).

• Sean Donahue

January 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Just to add to my reply, there is a rumor now that Sene is headed to fellow trialist David Foley’s old team, Hartlepool. Not sure how true that is though.

• Chris B

January 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thanks for following up on that reply. I’m not sure about this rumor either because I saw Jeff Lemieux tweet he might be back in France. If the Hartlepool rumor is true, it definitely doesn’t mean he’s gone for good because I heard about N’tame going to a club in England after his reserve game appearance and is now back in Revs camp.

All and all though, I’m just saying if the Revs didn’t seriously consider signing Sene that’s a disappointment because he seemed very good. I’m just wondering why his trial was so short because why bring a player in on trial just for two intra squad matches and a few days of training? Is that enough of a look to make a decision? I wasn’t there evaluating him so I don’t know for sure, but this is more unnecessary confusion from the Revs.

2. Jeffrey

January 28, 2012 at 11:59 pm

The one question I have is why is Boggs still on the team? It doesn’t. make. sense. He sucks. I thought Heaps wanted to be the best we could be, 1 through 28. Oh, wait, he’s here to do charitable stuff, as kind of the public relations player for the team.

3. Peter

January 29, 2012 at 10:22 am

Hi I wondering how Shuttlworth faired in last night game I still think the revs need another GOALKEEPER behind Reise other than SHUTTLEWORTH??, he is not the answer for a back up? Are there amy other players on the way what about that TT/Soca bouys foreward you advise about last week